Wrongful Termination Lawyers
Shimoda & Rodriguez Law, PC is a premier employment law firm in California with a staff of wrongful termination expert lawyers. For more than 20 years, our firm has provided strong, successful representation to clients who experienced wrongful termination and other matters related to employment law. When you need to hold an employer accountable for its wrongful actions, Shimoda & Rodriguez Law, PC can represent you.
What is Wrongful termination?
The basic definition of wrongful termination in California is the dismissal or firing of an employee for an illegal reason, which may violate federal anti-discrimination laws or a contractual breach. Universally employers are legally prohibited from firing an employee based on any of the following:
- Discrimination based on race, gender, age, ethnic background, religion, pregnancy, marital status, or disability.
- Reporting an employment violation or bringing wrongdoing to light as a whistleblower.
- Filing a whistleblower claim. Whistleblower protection prevents an employer from retaliating against an employee.
- Taking time off work under the Family and Medical Leave Act
- Violating their contract with an employee
If you do not have a formal contract of employment, your employment may be considered “at will” meaning you can be fired at any time. However, the law prohibits employers from firing workers for reasons deemed illegal, some of which are listed above. If you have an employment contract, it may outline your responsibilities and the terms for terminating your employment. If your employer fires you for reasons not stated in your contract of employment, you may be able to prove wrongful termination.
What Damages Can I Collect From Proving Wrongful Termination?
There are many types of damages that the court may award for wrongful termination. Some of these include:
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages
At Shimoda & Rodriguez Law, PC, we often recover compensation for our clients through out-of-court settlements. However, as skilled litigators, our lawyers have also won numerous favorable verdicts at trial. We handle private individual lawsuits as well as class-action lawsuits for multiple plaintiffs.
Contact our team of wrongful termination attorneys to pursue legal action.
How We Approach Wrongful Termination Cases
- Initial consultation: Our expert wrongful termination lawyers will speak with you and gather the specifics about your case.
- Review & Plan: Once we have the specifics of your wrongful termination case, our team can begin building a legal strategy to achieve your best outcome.
- Representation & Resolution: While our goal is often to settle wrongful termination cases through mediation, there are times the matter moves to court. In this instance, our attorneys will aggressively represent you and pursue an outcome in your best interest.
Galen and his team were very easy to work with. They were honest about what to expect and very responsive. They made me feel at ease with a process that was very foreign to me. I was extremely happy with the outcome of my case. I would highly recommend using this firm.
Frequently Asked Questions About Wrongful Termination
How long Does a Wrongful Termination Case Take?
The time it takes to settle a wrongful termination case varies widely for each specific case. Our team has won wrongful termination cases in as little time as one month to as long as four years plus. The complexity of the case and the appeal process are common reasons for litigation taking longer than a year.
How do you prove wrongful termination?
One of the first steps to prove wrongful termination is to show that the employer’s claim for terminating your employment is false. A typical example is being fired on the grounds of poor performance. In this scenario, you need to prove your performance prior to being fired was satisfactory. After this is established, our legal team will use the facts available to prove your employment was unlawfully terminated.
Do I need a wrongful termination lawyer near me?
While it is not necessary to hire a wrongful termination near your city of employment, there are some key benefits. Hiring a local wrongful termination lawyer can expedite the process to file cases with local courts. Our team of employment law specialists is centrally located in California, not far from Sacramento, allowing us to serve the state of California effectively and efficiently.
Schedule Your Initial Consultation With Our Wrongful Termination Lawyers
Contact our office for skilled representation in your wrongful termination case. We provide phone consultations. To speak with an attorney, call us at 833-201-0213 or send our firm an email. We will promptly return all email contacts with a phone call.