Get The Time Off That You Deserve

At some point, everyone will experience an illness, an injury or a family emergency. However, not every employer offers time off, paid or unpaid. To ensure that workers have access to unpaid time off, the federal government passed the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and the state of California passed the California Family Rights Act (CFRA).

Unfortunately, many employers violate this law by refusing to let their employees take FMLA or CFRA leave. Shimoda Law Corp. can help you get the time off that you need and seek compensation for your damages if your employer has refused to let you take the time off that you deserve. Work with us for comprehensive representation in all employment law matters.

How Is The CFRA Different From The FMLA?

Both the FMLA and the CFRA allow 12 weeks of unpaid leave in a one-year period for the birth or adoption of a child, to care for a family member who has a serious medical condition or to care for your own medical condition. However, the CFRA:

  • Considers registered domestic partners equal to a spouse
  • Does not consider pregnancy a serious health condition
  • Does not require your employer’s permission to take intermittent bonding leave, but you do have to use this leave in two-week increments
  • Does not allow you to take time off if your family member is called to active military duty
  • Does not allow you to take time off for a service member who is your next of kin

These are the major differences between the two laws, but there are numerous minute details that are very complex. Shimoda Law Corp. can help you understand these differences and explain which type of leave you should use for your circumstances.

Did your employer retaliate against you, possibly by wrongfully firing you, for using FMLA or CFRA? Contact us and we can assist you.

Ask An Attorney About FMLA And CFRA

You do not have to navigate these complex regulations alone, especially if you are also coping with an illness, an injury or a family matter. Contact our law firm for a free phone consultation. Talk to an attorney by calling 916-525-0716 or by using our online contact form. We will promptly return all email contacts with a phone call.